Monday, October 17, 2011

LOL!

This was a very interesting bit of writing by Orwell. He goes into some very specific points which I would likely have made, had I written an article of similar content. I have been referred to as a grammar Nazi more times than I can recall. This tendency of mine to correct other people's English is especially exercised online over Facebook and forums. Orwell, and others I am sure, clearly saw the deterioration of the English language taking place over time. Given the utterly simplistic and abbreviated form of communications we have today with the internet and text messaging, I imagine Orwell to be turning over in his grave.

Personally, I steadfastly refrain from using any such abbreviated forms of speech, online or otherwise. The point Orwell made about the "bad habits which spread by imitation" is absolutely spot on. It may be easier to type "brb" instead of "be right back," but by taking part in such practices, you're effectively taking part in the slow decay of the language of meaning. I related particularly well to the sentiment that "any struggle against the abuse of language is a sentimental archaism, like preferring candles to electric light or hansom cabs to aeroplanes." I would agree that most people do feel that way, and that precisely what makes it so important to hold the line against the constant invasion of new abbreviations, and the swelling tide of stupidity that they must inevitably bring. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that Orwell would probable detest any "internet talk", such as LOLZ and WTF BRO???, but I don't think that was the main point he was trying get across. Orwell hated the use of superfluous language that danced around the topic in a pretentious manner simply because the writer couldn't properly formulate their thoughts into words. He dislikes the notion that this has become a broad practice among seeming scholarly people.

    ReplyDelete